Thursday, August 31, 2006

Alaska floats my boat!


I loved Alaska to death! Here are only a handful of photos of my trip. I've included ones from my travels excepting my kayak trip to Kenai Fjords. I'll do a separate post on those, since that was the highlight of my trip in many ways.

In the meantime, here are some photos to whet your appetite. BTW: The boats above were docked in the southern port town of Seward, stopping place for many cruise ships.



Anchorage, besides having a coffee shop on every corner (that's where I got the Starbucks in my hand), proudly displays some local wildlife artifacts on its streets. This moose probably poses with hundreds of tourists every day. The fish, below, is smack in the middle of downtown. It is one of many designed by local artists.



Train travel is one of the only ways to go in Alaska if you don't have your own car. There's really only one main highway that runs north/south from Seward to Fairbanks. I took the train on a few different trips. This one ran from Seward to Anchorage.



On my northbound train ride, I snapped about 100 photos of mountains, glaciers, snow-capped mountains, and creeks.



Seward, below, was my home for 3 days and nights. Two of those days were rainy, gray, cold, and generally miserable. The third day of glory made up for it all. The sun shone brightly, the water sparkled, the mountains stood green and proud over the landscape. It was one of those days God hand tailors.



One of my toursity activities included a visit to the Sea Life Center in Seward. There, this 2,000-lb sea lion teases visitors.



This sign at the Sea Life Center speaks for itself:



http://www.alaskasealife.org/

One of my train trips took me north to the small town of Talkeetna. There, I met some fellas from the Maryland area. We walked around the small town together and took in the sights, including this real-live reindeer!



I chilled out for awhile on this washed-up log on the banks of the Talkeetna River.



Someone had carved into the log "I love Danielle." Did you doubt I would take the photo?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Got your postcard! Thanks for thinking of us on your trip... I can't even begin to describe you jealous I am of you. I am so glad you're having a good time!!

Thursday, 31 August, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home