Thursday, June 29, 2006

Baaaadlands

My first thought when I saw these erosion-formed crags of land was, "What the (heck) is this?" I had no idea such things existed on Earth, let alone the Midwest.




The Badlands are just south of Interstate 90 heading west toward Rapid City (Mt. Rushmore, etc.). The French explorers dubbed the trecherous land "mauvaises terres" (badlands) because they were so hard to cross. According to the information center, crocodiles (or alligators, they weren't clear on this) and the predecessor to horses roamed the area at one point. I also learned that these formations were probably not here 500,000 years ago. Scientists think the area was a great salt sea that dried up, leavng soft rock and land that is easily eroded. The Badlands, they say, may not even be here in another 500,000 years. So you better jump into your cars and start driving, friends!



I captured this cow on (digital) film along a side road heading into the infamous town of Wall, S.D., just north of the Badlands. It was a beautiful sunset drive and I couldn't resist framing the cow. Long live the bovine!


This man, pumping my gas - you'll see why below -- was in the middle of asking me where I was from when I took this shot. He lives in the town of Interior, which is the middle of the Badlands. He's lived in California, Florida and elsewhere, but chose Interior because the climate suits him, and he likes the solitude. In the town of Interior, there is a post office, grocery (with lots of little liquor bottles), school, communications utility, playground, bar, church and some houses.


The grocery boasts one of the two gas stations in town. This one is comprised of a tank atop the bed of a pickup truck. The pump does not stop automatically, so you have to feel for it, or the gas will splosh all over you. I witnessed a man in a blue SUV get his hand drenched in gas. Fortunately, I got a little help at the pump.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a little late here, but I wanted to tell you how cool it is to see your pictures and read your posts. Thanks! We miss you here, but I'm glad you're having a good time. Now update your blog, woman!!!

~ Kara ~

Friday, 07 July, 2006  
Blogger Pattie said...

Did you get to eat Indian tacos in Interior? We camped just outside of Interior for a week in 2004 and had one of the best times on our journeys -- the badlands is one of my favorite places on earth.

Did you see the buffalo? Did you see the antelope?

BTW, I think we saw the guy in the picture from the gas station. Was that at the gas station in Interior? Were the big hound dogs hanging out there?

Our travel tales about the badlands can be found here.

Sounds like you have a wonderful trip.

Saturday, 08 July, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I <3 YOUR COW!

Thanks for blogging so we know where you are..

Monday, 10 July, 2006  
Blogger Keith said...

Ah, this takes me back to my two cross-country trips in '88 and '89. The first year, we drove into the Badlands late one night during a lightning storm (no rain, just brilliant flashes across the night sky). I couldn't see the land formations until I emerged from my sleeping bag in the morning and, having not been told what to expect, dove right back into the bag thinking, "Holy crap, I'm on Mars!"

Nice cow. They really do glow out there... I think there was a bit of nuclear testing in the area.

The day we hit Wall Drug ("Free Ice Water!"), my friend got the idea to get a souvenir placard/postcard thingy and have all the employees working at the time autograph it. Basically, the entire town of Wall obliged us with their autographs...

"I get by with a little help at the pump, with a little help at the pu-uu-uu-uu-uuuu-uu-uu-uuuump!"

Tuesday, 11 July, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so happy to see your pictures and hear the information about the sites, that I stil at 64 haven't had a chance to visit. So glad you are having a wonderful time..Janet in Palm Coast

Tuesday, 25 July, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home