Monday, August 07, 2006

GNP: The cold one

Glacier National Park made all other places look dreary. The park is in northern Montana on the border of Canada. Snow-capped mountains, cool breezes, wildflowers, streams, clear blue skies and zoo animals wandering about mark this park.



Above is Jackson Glacier, which started its "retreat" in about 1860, scientists hypothesize. If the Earth keeps on this heating pattern it seems to be on, some scientists predict many glaciers will rapidly melt and disappear in the next few decades. So I decided to take a trip north to catch 'em before they're gone.



These mountain goats, belonging to the deer family, take little notice of humans climbing the mountain alongside them. These creatures were munching the grasses on the mountains at Logan's Pass.



It took a swervy, curvy 45-minute drive to reach the Pass, above. Then I hiked, yes hiked, in my flip-flops about 1.5 miles to see ... the other side of the mountain basically. I made some new friends, though, pictured here, in addition to my sore tootsies.



These weary feet brought me through Logan's Pass. I believe I actually broke a toe walking this path. Flip-flops are not the GNP-approved list of footwear for hiking, methinks.





Lake McDonald is the longest lake at Glacier National Park; it's surrounded by mountains, providing spectacular sunsets and ogling opportunities. I camped at the nearby KOA for two nights. One day, I went whitewater rafting (this is swiftly becoming a favorite activity of mine). The other I spent exploring GNP.

Don't feed the animals:And just in case you were unsure, the park rangers want you to know you are not alone in the woods:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Danielle, do you want your old job back at the Daily News? I'm leaving the 18th. Candi.

Wednesday, 09 August, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Danielle!

Am enjoying all of the posts! The pictures are absolutely beautiful. What a wonderful trip!

Bruce

Wednesday, 09 August, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about MY old job at the Daily News? Is it still there? I left in 2001. Click my name link to see what I have been doing in the interim. (I am not responsible for the editing on this site!)

Thursday, 10 August, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home