Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Virginia is for historians


The state of Virginia has posted informative signs near historic places in the state. And there are plenty of them. The Battle of Chancelorsville (20 minutes from Christy's house in Fredericksburg, Va.) was "Lee's 'perfect battle' because of his risky but successful division of his army in the presence of a much larger enemy force," according to Wikipedia.


A replica of a cannon used in the Battle of Chancelorsville (Va.).


A proud rebel has carved the flag in one of the trees in the wilderness area where Stonewall Jackson was shot by friendly fire in May 1863. He died a few days later.


On my drive from Chancellorsville to Jefferson's estate, Monticello, I passed the town of Gordonsville. I was attracted to this tiny library along the main street. When I went inside, I learned it was no more than 1,000 square feet. It had a main room consisting of shelves along the perimeter and two stacks in the middle, creating 3 aisles of books. A shoot-off room had the children's section. One librarian on duty, one comfy chair to sit in, one computer to search the collection.


Trees envelop visitors as they approach the entrance to Monticello, meaning "little mountain."


The one photo I managed to take while inside the house, this is the dining room. I love how Jefferson managed to get so much light into his home.


Leaving the house after the guided tour, I turned to shoot the door my group had just emerged from.


Walking in the back yard among the gardens, I paused to take a self portrait. I like the shadow of the tree on my face.


The stairs on which I sit lead up from the back yard of the house.


On the grounds is this Fish Pond. I imagine enslaved kitchen workers coming here to "fish" for the evening's dinner. The pond itself is pretty scuzzy-looking now.


This group of Mormon missionaries was on the grounds that day. I loved the contrast of their suits to not only the casual clothes most of the visitors were wearing but the trees, grass, and flowers.


The house itself is up on a hill. This cemetery, the African-American graveyard as it's called today, was at the bottom near the road to town. There were no headstones that I could see.


Here is a list of some of the names of those who were enslaved in service at Monticello.

4 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Love the pics, my friend. The picture of the missionaries is well composed - you have a good eye for photos. Miss you!!

Wednesday, 20 May, 2009  
Blogger Allison said...

Way to stick your chest out in that photo of you on the steps. :)

Wednesday, 03 June, 2009  
Blogger Danielle P said...

allison, lol. just like mama told me!

Thursday, 04 June, 2009  
Blogger psstt said...

Hey Danielle - it looks like you've been busy - It looks great. I love all the photos. keep it up.

xoxo
Mindy

Monday, 19 October, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home