Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Petrified Forest, AZ


Petrified Forest National Park came upon me suddenly on the drive from Santa Fe to Amarillo. These rock formations are called teepees.


The hotel within the park offers spectacular views (sounds like I'm writing the press release).


Behind the hotel is this trail, leading down into the rocks.


These petrified tree stumps are the reason this national park exists. Scientists believe a flooded river washed huge trees from the north into this valley in Arizona. Elements such as iron infiltrated the trees and solidified them.


I wanted to illustrate the size of this fallen log. Not sure why, but it surprised me that the petrified forest is comprised of fallen -- not standing -- trees. :)


Chemicals within the logs give them their colors, such as yellows, reds, and purples.


This is Savannah, a military nursing student. She and I kept running into each other along the stops in the park. At one point, my camera battery died and she was able to recharge it in her car for me.


More rock formations within the park.


The best part of my visit was sitting in the sunshine, contemplating the view. Savannah shot this one.


It was getting late in the afternoon when I left the national park.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home