Friday, June 23, 2006

F Cubed (Mad.)

Three thrilling experiences on my first night camping in Madison, Wisc., included the following:
frigid temperatures;
food poisoning; and
frat-style neighbors.

The low was 58 degrees last night. I am used to that in February in Florida. But it's the second day of summer!!! So I had to put on a T-shirt, long-sleeved hoodie, gray sweatshirt, and blue sweater. On top of that, I snaked into my sleeping bag and covered my head with my pillows. (The latter is not necessarily a new act on my part, but in this case it helped with the cold as well as the potential light.)

IHOP was one of the few eateries open at the time I was hungry, so I went and ordered some scrambled eggs, sausage and English muffin. One of those things did not a happy gastronomical choice make. At about 1 a.m., I had to cross the 200-foot or so camp area to reach the restroom in time. Did I mention it was 58?

Though bedsheets and beer were not playing major roles in my camping neighbors' shenanigans, country music and Bad Company were. I politely asked them about midnight to lower the music. The woman, who appeared to be with her daughter, said she could do that. I put in my earplugs and tried to sleep. I could still hear the music, and the talking. It's like they were at a crowded Thanksgiving Day table and had to shout to be heard. They finally settled down around 2 a.m.

I settled down around 2:45 a.m., only to be woken up by my cell phone ringing at 8 a.m. I have hopes tomorrow will be better. The neighbors have moved out, I will avoid IHOP, and the lady who runs the camping facility has offered me a blanket. Life is good.

1 Comments:

Blogger Keith said...

I suspect that "IHOP" is not so much an acronym as it is a description of the manner in which one gets to the bathroom after consuming one of their choice offerings...

And as for your experience with your neighbors... this is precisely why firearms are generally prohibited at such facilities.

Monday, 26 June, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home