Saturday, July 14, 2007

Howdy from Houston

I was in Houston this past weekend, just hanging out. I'm working about 100 miles north for a few weeks but came to Houston to sight see. Also, I seem to recall there's a Panera Bread somewheres near here! And there's contra dancing. :) I attended a play downtown in the theater district (at the Alley Theatre) one night: Agatha Christie's Death on the Nile. It was all right. Of the 10 or so cast members, only one was really good: watchable, energetic and believable. (The one who played Jacqueline.)

I'm staying at the Omni Hotel, which is really sort of ritzy. But I find it a little user unfriendly. You have to tip for everything, there are people everywhere who want to help you with stuff -- front desk, concierge, door openers, bell boys. It's almost too much. They charge $3.50 for room service (plus the $14 the sandwich costs), and don't even offer free WiFi in the rooms. I am down in the lobby taking advantage of the free WiFi there. And if you want close parking, you have to pay $10 a day. I walk a bit farther to the free garage. I'm such a cheapskate. :) They did redeem themselves with breakfast. My room rate is 109 plus breakfast, and it was huge: yogurt, granola, fresh fruit, bagels, croissants, cheese, omelette. Also nice is the hotel is one mile from a huge green park called Memorial Park, where I can walk. My room view is pretty decent too.

Anyway. So here I am. Texas. It's quite a pretty state. Very green -- it reminds me a lot of Florida. Just after sunset, it cools down a bit, and the night bugs start to play their song. I am surprised to find myself really liking Texas. Once this trip is over, I'll have spent 7 weeks here this year.

That's all the news.

1 Comments:

Blogger Keith said...

You and your love affair with Panera... If they held a contra dance inside a Panera, you'd prob'ly go into an ecstasy-induced coma... y'know, after eating and dancing.

Ever just want to wear a sandwich board that says "I don't tip"? Think they'd be so johnny-on-the-spot then?

Monday, 16 July, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home